Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Memories, Sentiment and a Connection

 I love when people see my work and it evokes an emotion. They smile and tell me the connection they have with a certain piece of my jewelry. Most recently I had created a necklace with a vintage ladies watch, a women purchased it as it reminded her of her Mother, her mother always wore a similar watch. The necklace was a connection to her Mom.

 Here is a bracelet I created  called "Memories of Mom". Created with three vintage watch faces and a monogrammed vintage button.
 You can find this bracelet in my Etsy shop.

Do you have something that brings about a strong emotion when you see it? Or perhaps a certain smell or food does that for you. Lilacs always remind me of growing up, a tree stood right outside our bedroom window. The sound of a screen door shutting is another favorite, we had a wooden screen door in our kitchen and with five kids in and out it was a familiar sound, one that I still love to hear.  What's your connection?

10 comments:

  1. I grew up sailing so the sound of the main line on the mast always brings back summers on the lake. Lovely bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an idea!! you are so clever my dear Judy!! this piece is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wind up watches. How could I have forgotten. My mother always wore a similar watch as well. The smell of bread baking always brings back the sweetest memories of my Oma who baked bread for the week every Saturday. The treat was getting to eat one small piece of dough. I still love the taste of bread dough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother wore a watch very similar to those also...it does bring back memories. I love the 3-watch bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy...i love how your posts are always so personal and evoke emotion...the watch definaltly reminds me of my Baba...she was the most special person in my life growing up without a mom...i still have her watch and it hangs in a very special place in my studio workspace and funny you say the screen door reminds me of summers spent at the old school house in Quebec...we had a very old scholl house converted into a cottage..no hydro no running water...just and old wood stove and a well to pump the water oh those were the days...take care and thanks ttfn Lana :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wind up watches are one of my many favorite things. I like what you did with the (three) watches. I still wear one sometimes. Can anyone remember the toy ones at the five&dime? When kids wanted to be like the grown ups. Ah the good times!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fun bracelet :) I have a lot of things that I associate certain memories, it's just the way my brain works. Certain pieces of jewelry I've made, each of my 7 rings has a meaning to me, musics, smells...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this piece with vintage watches...innovative idea to not just store them but also turn them to fantastic jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete