Wednesday, April 22, 2009


What a darling baby Salina had. He had a wonderful personality and was so friendly. Johnny said he had never seen a friendlier foal. Just one day old and he came right over to the stall door when you approached. I spent as much time as I could at the farm, mostly mucking the stall and loving the new foal. The weather was warming up and the Mare and foal were put in the paddock during the day for some fresh air. When you come up to the fence that little foal would come right over to you, he never lingered around his mother like most do. He would run all over the paddock by himself with his knobby long legs, he was the most independent little colt. I would stand by the fence admiring the colt and Mare, "Go on in" Johnny said to me, referring to the paddock. From then on I would always be in the pasture or the paddock when visiting the horses.

Johnny called and asked me to feed the horses for a few days. He had to go to the hospital overnight for some tests. An over night turned into a few days. I told him I would do what ever he needed and not to worry.

By this time Anymore had been brought to a training farm a few miles up the road. They had a turf track and and an inside exercising ring. John (the jockey/trainer) was training her up at the training farm.

My sisters had come for a visit a few weeks after the colt was born. I could not wait to show him off. One day Ed and my sisters all went to the farm. Johnny was inside, he was not feeling well. I went in to muck the stall and my sister Susan was standing in front of the stall door. I turned around and Susan was gone and right then Salina bolted out of the stall. Susan was walking down the isle and I had to yell to her to get out of the way. Salina was so quick! I quickly shut the gate so the colt could not get out. I grabbed the lead and went running out to the yard after her. She ran right over to the fence of the 10 acre pasture where Artic Roll and Lady Gelaine were. Artic was at the fence line and Celina made noises at her like I have never heard. It sounded like growling, her lips were curled up and she was letting Artic have it. Ed tried to get Salina but could not, she liked her freedom from the stall. Head hanging low I went to Johnny's front door, I just hated to bother him. I told him what happened, he asked if the foal got out. I handed him the lead and out he came in his stocking feet. He got her with no problem and escorted her back to the barn and her foal. He kind of chuckled and told me next time to but the chain up across the stall doorway. I felt awful, but later had a good laugh, just seeing Salina take off was kind of funny.

I started calling the colt "Bucky", it was a goofy name that suited this friendly colt with his furry afro mane.


  1. Ah...the runaway horse. We've had a few of those in our times. We had this old Egyptian Arab that was smarter than anything. We would have to bolt the BOTTOM of his stall door as he would inevitably find a way to get the door open. Once open...he would go to every stall door and let the others out. Now if you think one horse is hard to catch...try a whole barn full!

  2. Omg, that is too funny! I can just picture the havoc!

  3. I'm enjoying your story. I had a filly that was a real escape artist. I learned not to hang ribbons on the stalls, as she would get out and eat them. She is now 14 and no longer has an interest in escape!