Monday, April 20, 2009

Getting Ready

The fall came and went along with the holidays. Johnny turned 63 years old. I visited the horses several times during the week sometimes Johnny came out to chat sometimes not. The mares were getting larger and I started thinking about them having their foals.

Anymore the filly and the colt Derby were put together in one pasture. They had so much fun and Anymore finally had someone to boss around (her friend had left a while ago). All three Mares were in the 10 acre pasture. Artic Roll was the boss, then Lady Gelaine and Salina Star was the one they picked on. Salina was the sweetest by far and surprising the most aggressive at the track .She always hung her head low and had such a defeated look to her. If I gave her more attention then Lady came to push her away, Lady would get so jealous. Artic really could care less unless there was food involved. Salina sometimes had bite marks on her back end from the other two Mares. I had to set Johnny straight about the pecking order as he got it wrong, I was really getting to know these mares and just loved them.

Johnny had started to work with Anymore in the round pen but would get so out of breath and had a hard time doing it on a regular basis. She would be put in the stall at night and he would take her out during the day if he felt he could. This is about the time I really started noticing he was not feeling well. He had had an abdominal aneurysm a few years back and had a pacemaker. The seriousness of the roof fall was starting to take its toll. He was often out of breath just hauling water or feed.

Johnny had to hire someone to help train Anymore. He had a friend John that who use to jockey for him. John was quite a character, all 4 feet plus. I tried to visit on the afternoons when John came so I could watch Anymore train, I found it very interesting. Johnny said she was the type of horse that would run the race before getting out of the stall. She was spirited!

Salina Star was the first mare due in March, this would be her first foal. Johnny moved her to the paddock to watch her closer and get her off of eating grass, too much would cause a thick placenta. She started to shed out and was starting to look a little rough. I told Johnny I wanted to brush her. I never brushed a horse before nor had I been in the pasture or stall with one yet, I could not have her deliver looking like that. Being a former obstetrics nurse I knew a little something about expectant mothers, I knew she needed some special care. Johnny put Salina in the round pen and in I went, although very cautious.With the shedding blade in hand I started slowly below her mane she seemed to like it so I continued. I was wearing a fleece and was quickly coated with hair, I did not care....I had been dying to do this. Johnny came in with some grain for her and started brushing her back side and tail. To me the tail looked dangerous, being right behind her legs.
The sun was shining and it was such an enjoyable thing to do. I gradually moved around her and slowly got use to being next to this ginormous animal. She was content and so was I.

to be continued....


  1. And the tension builds! There's something cathartic about brushing a horse.

  2. This is so neat to read. I agree with Sandra...there is nothing more calming than grooming a horse...especially one that loves to be. Can't wait for the next one.